Friday, September 09, 2005

If Mohammed won't come


This is amazing news:

More for the point if you take into consideration the few that would never get to go and see this sort of thing in it's original setting due to many factors can now experience a wonder in their own backyard so to speak...

Lascaux

I'd love to see the original thing but as I can't I will be going to check this out when it hits town, not quite the same as camping out for the weekend and exploring caves but fuck me dead how exciting to see something so primeval in a place as 'culturally' advanced as London... a place that hides it's true vitriol in polite conversation, ironic then to experience this 'primitive beauty' in such 'advanced savagery'.

4 comments:

crybabyzero said...

Did you know I was on my way to lascaux 2? Now I think I'll wait thanks to your item. Anyone who has an interest in this sort of thing should immediately read 'The Mind in the Cave' by David Lewis-Williams. The Homosapiens that adorned those walls overlapped by a thousand years or more our dim witted cousins Homoneanderthalis. This art is an expression of our human conciousness which is uniquely hardwired for art and religion (art in the sense of imagemaking and religion in the sense of another power or spirit beyond our own) My friend has recently visited and was impressed by the facsimile. I feel there must be a fair slice of wonder circumsized in reproduction. Ideally the solo visitor should crawl down into them with only a tallow lamp and once settled injest a shitload of jimson weed or similar (Peyote if jimson is unavailable). They would then perhaps see the cave walls as our ancestors, a membrane between the spirit world behind the rock and our world where images can be coaxed through the walls to reveal themselves. No, honestly

Whoozee said...

Did I know you were on your way 2?
2?
In addition to what or with?
I am confused...
and what is Jimson and where do I get it?

crybabyzero said...

The reproduction of the caves are known by the title lascaux 2. Or rather ll in roman numerology. You were'nt to know and I have forgiven you already so don't worry yourself too much about it. As for Jimson, google it or maybe read the first few Carlos Castenada books although I dont recomend them.

Whoozee said...

I have read Carlos Castaneda and I still can't remember although I am getting a slight remberance... it was where I first encountered peyote...